While traveling over to Germany I fell in love with a dish call Spaetzle or “German cheese noodle casserole”. Pretty much everywhere we went in Germany we would find Spaetzle on the menu and of course at every restaurant we went to I order this as a side dish. One of the ways that I love making this dish at home is in a 9 x 13 casserole dish. Here is a simple recipe that I will share with you to try.
Here is a list of what you will need;
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of butter
- 2 medium onions sliced up
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup of water
- ¼ teaspoon of grated nutmeg
- 4 ounces of Gruyere cheese
- In a medium saucepan heat together the butter and oil on medium heat. Turn heat to low and add the onions, stir every so often and let them cook for about an hour.
- Set the caramelized onions aside for now.
- Put a large pot of water on the stove and bring it to a boil.
- Whisk together flour and salt in a medium bowl. In a small bowl beat eggs with the ½ cup of water and add flour & salt mixture.
- Beat for several minutes until the dough is smooth, set aside for around 10 minutes. Beat again.
- Place ½ of dough in colander and place over the boiling water. Push the dough through the colander back and forth and the dough will drop into the water.
- The dough strips will drop to the bottom of the pot and then they will rise to the top. Once they rise let them sit in the water for another two to three minutes.
- Scoop out the spaetzle from the water and rinse in hot water and set aside.
- Continue the same procedure with the second half of the dough in the boiling water.
- Butter a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs around the casserole dish, these will stick to the buttered bottom and side of the casserole dish.
- Take the cooked spaetzle noodles and add them to the caramelized onions along with the grated nutmeg and grated cheese. Mix all together.
- Spoon mixture into casserole dish and sprinkle more of the grated cheese on top of the noodles.
- Cover with foil and bake twenty minutes at 350 degrees, then uncover and bake for another fifteen minutes.
- At our home we like our cheese brown, we will cook on broil for another five to ten minutes.
I hope you like this recipe and if you have any variations we would love to hear from you.
Thanks for visiting! Remember to like us on Facebook and Pinterest for daily updates.