My favorite food for breakfast on the weekends is grandma’s homemade biscuits and gravy. I know this meal is probably one of the unhealthiest meals that you can eat. Sometimes you just have to go out on a limb and treat your taste buds to something that you crave and for me this is one of my comfort foods.
I have tried so many variations of biscuits and gravy but I still come back to this one that I am going to share with you. Whenever we have family gatherings of all our kids, they cannot wait for me to make up a batch of homemade biscuits and a pot of homemade sausage gravy.
For my family what I like to do is make the sausage gravy the night before. This brings all the flavors together when the gravy sits overnight. The morning of breakfast I will bake the biscuits. Click here for the biscuit recipe.
Ingredients for sausage gravy
- 16 oz. sausage, if you want a little kick to your gravy add 8 oz. of hot sausage
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- ½ cups of flour
- 4 cups of milk
- 1 tsp of ground sage
- ¼ tsp of onion powder
- ¼ tsp of ground pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Brown the sausage in a frying pan on medium heat and drain off the grease.
- Melt the butter after you drain the grease in the same pan with the sausage.
- Add flour to the sausage and butter and stir together and let cook for two to three minutes.
- Pour in milk over the sausage in the frying pan and let sit for a few minutes. Then add the sage, onion, pepper and salt. Bring this mixture to a boil and then turn to low heat.
- Continue to cook on low for another ten minutes stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the sausage gravy to a container and cover and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning after the biscuits are about done baking bring out the sausage gravy and heat on low. Only add a little cold milk if the gravy is to thick.