Sugar a dangerous drug.
On my way to the office this morning I was listening to a DJ on my favorite radio station talking about kicking sugar out of her diet. She was explaining how terrible sweeteners and high fructose is for a person’s body. I could not believe what I was hearing because the symptoms of too much sugar is some of the issues my wife and I struggle with in our lives.
With this peaked interest I decided to do some digging and see why sugar is bad for you. I found that sugar is made up of hydrogen, carbon and oxygen which makes sugar a carbohydrate and the doctor has been telling me to be on a low carb diet. This makes sense to me because every-time I go on a carb free diet I do have more energy and less brain fog. I also found that sugar is one of the worst things to put in our body.
Refined sugar, granulated sugar and high fructose corn syrup goes through a refining process which makes them of no nutritional value for your body. These two substances actually steal your energy and can cause major health issues. The harmful effects of having sugar in your diet goes way beyond that there is no nutritional value. The plain truth is that sugar and high fructose is the single worst ingredient you can have in your diet.
Let’s take a look at what having sugar in your diet can cause.
- Increases the likelihood of chronic fatigue.
- Increases mood swings, irritability and anxiety.
- Foods containing sugar can cause a big spike in blood glucose levels, when this happens your energy level spikes which cause restlessness and insomnia.
- Raises the level of neurotransmitters called serotonin.
- Contributes to heart problems.
- Can create the urge to binge.
- Makes the pancreas work harder to produce insulin. Diabetes results when the overworked pancreas can no longer eliminate sugar from the blood stream.
- Compromises the immune system because it lowers the efficiency of white blood cells for a minimum of five hours.
- Could lead to a fatty liver which will lead to liver disease.
- Increase cholesterol.
- Cause cataracts.
- Increase kidney size and produce pathological changes in the kidney.
- Cause headaches, including migraines.
- Contribute to Alzheimer’s disease.
- Decrease emotional stability.
- Feeds candida which is also known as a yeast infection.
- Can be very addictive like a drug.
- Sugar and excess fructose causes the body to be leptin resistance. Leptin is a hormone that communicates with your body and tells you when you have had enough food. When the body is leptin resistant and the leptin does not work making a person over eat and cause obesity. There are no symptoms or warning signs that tell you your body is leptin resistant.
- Excess sugar consumption was linked to deficiencies in memory and overall cognitive health.
- Added sugar will release a hormone called cortisol. This hormone interferes with your awake and sleep cycle. Get rid of the added sugar and you will find yourself more awake during the day and sleep better at night.
If this list does not scare you to stop eating sugar than I do not know what will. When I did my research for this article I decided it was time to take control of what I put in my mouth and make a lifestyle change to remove this addiction from our lives..
What can we substitute sugar with?
- Honey, honey has been proven to improve blood lipids, and lower blood glucose levels.
- Stevia, is a naturally occurring sweetener from the Sunflower family. It is approximately 300 times sweeter than table sugar, and allegedly has a lower effect on blood glucose levels.
- There are other sugar alternatives out on the market, I would recommend that you do your research on each one and make your own decision. I personally like honey since it is all natural and it can help improve issues in the body.
What is next for my family?
My wife and I are going to start a detox program. I cannot stand being on a diet and from what I read quitting sugar is not a diet. From what it looks like we take in more than a cup full of this white crystal stuff into our body every day. Forbes reports that American consume 130 pounds of sugar every year or at least 3 pounds per week. This does not sit well with me, There are so many bad side effects from eating sugar I know for me and my house we are going to make a lifestyle change and stop consuming this dangerous drug.