Macaroni and Cheese Casserole
Many of us have grown up eating Macaroni and Cheese out of a box. The image of a cardboard box with two plastic bags inside of the ingredients they call mac and cheese. Around our home we try to stay away from these processed foods, we actually take the time and make our own homemade Baked Macaroni and Cheese Casserole. Believe it or not even the grandchildren love our macaroni and cheese casserole. It is so good this is one of our main side dishes at the holidays.
- 3 cups of uncooked macaroni
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup of breadcrumbs or panko
- ½ cup of heavy cream
- 1 ½ cups of milk
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 ½ tablespoons of flour
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 2 cups of grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups of grated monterey jack cheese
- 2 cups of grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tsps. of salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Bring about 6 cups of water to a boil. Add 2 tsps. of salt to the boiling water. After water came to a boil add the uncooked macaroni and cook till the pasta is al dente.
- Drain pasta and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the eggs and add heavy cream and milk. Mix these ingredients well.
- In a separate sauce pan melt butter and add the cheeses and stir continuously. Once cheese is melted and mixed into the butter add the eggs, milk and cream. Whisk constantly and add pinch of salt and pepper.
- Take a 9×13 casserole dish coat interior with cooking spray.
- Melt a ¼ cup of butter and add bread-crumbs or panko in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook till brown. Spread over the macaroni and cheese.
- Bake for about 20 minutes the cheese should be bubbling after about 20 minutes time.
For a little variation:
- For a little different taste add some chopped onion or ham pieces or fry off some bacon and crumble the bacon and mix into the cheese. Anyone one of these three will give the baked macaroni and cheese a different flair.